About The Club
To promote and encourage walking and an appreciation of the environment.
To organise walking trips and other outdoor activities.
To foster social activities among its members.
The Melbourne Women's Walking Club was formed in 1922 by a group of young women excluded from the men-only Melbourne Walking Club. From the start the Club held both day and weekend walks, wherever the railways could take them. In the brief annual Christmas-New Year holiday period there were longer tours. The Club pioneered treks with packhorses supplied by the mountain cattlemen who also acted as guides. In 1936 three members walked the Barry Mountains, the first women to do so.
Over the years their dress changed from long skirts to short skirts to riding breeches (then the only acceptable form of trousers for women). Finally in the 1930s they defied all conventions by wearing specially tailored shorts. World War 2 curtailed activities and led to a decline in the 1950s, but the club rallied and grew again. Later, groups began to travel further afield, both interstate and overseas. Recently there has been an influx of new members and the club continues to provide a wide variety of activities.